Saturday, November 17, 2012

PERSONAL CHILDHOOD WEB

The five most influential people who nurtured me and made me feel special throughout my childhood are my mother, first grade teacher Mrs. Parcels, godmother Aunt Ronnie, Uncle Jim, and sixth grade teacher Mrs. August. 

My mother was named Johanna McKenna but was called Judy. She was always focused on our education. She encouraged me throughout my entire academic experience - from kindergarten up to grad school. When I started graduate school at Montclair University a few years back, she was very proud and told me so. She became ill when I was halfway through the program. I lived 7 houses away and would help my dad take care of her. Life became very difficult with being a single mom, 2 kids in college, work, grad school, and a mom with terminal cancer so I stopped going to school just so I could get some sleep. When she found out she was a bit upset and made me promise that I would finish some day. I intend to fulfill that promise. She continues to influence me because she made me feel like I could do anything and be anybody. 
 
Mrs. Parcels was my first grade teacher and she was both very kind and very strict. I can remember being afraid to go to the auditorium for lunch (I don't remember why) and would say everyday that my stomach hurt and could I go to the nurse's office. After a few days of this she recognized what was happening. I can still remember her putting me on her lad and saying,  "What's the real problem Jenny?" I cannot remember what I said but I do know I never ate my lunch in the nurse's office after that. She and I always kept in touch. She sent me a gift when I was pregnant with my son and another gift when I completed my AA in Education. She passed away shortly thereafter. She was always pushing you to go the extra mile in whatever you did. She was truly a remarkable early childhood teacher and one I seek to exemplify. 

My Aunt Ronnie always took it upon herself to make sure I was having a fun-filled childhood. That's what aunt's are for! She took me and her twin daughters who were my age to the beach and pool parties in the summer. I was a quiet sort of child and I believe she took me along with them to draw me out. It worked. My shyness melted away due to her. When I had to take public speaking in college she gave me pointers and would wave off my insecurities. I now have no fear of public speaking. I was the one who eulogized my mother at her wake in front of a very large crowd with no problem, all the while thinking of the pointers she gave me many years ago about how to speak in front of people, when to pause and let a comment sink in to the crowd, etc. She showed me that confidence I had deep down. She continues to impact my life by staying in touch and taking a genuine interest in my life. She knows my goals and makes me realize I can do anything if I put my mind to it. 

My Uncle Jim was my mom's oldest brother. He helped take care of me when my bother, sister, and I were younger. He was not married at the time and has said he had a ball with us! He would take us to the beach and boardwalk in the summer. Every time I see him, he tells me the story of the night I was born. My mom went into labor during Christmas dinner and I was born the next day. He stayed with my older brother and sister. He was trying to feed my sister dinner and she threw spaghetti all over him. My brother, with a slight speech impediment at the time, said to him, "How do you like that Uncle Shim?" He and his wife, Aunt Joan, always gave me books for my birthday inscribed with the date and some words of encouragement. This is a tradition I continue with my nieces and nephews. I still have all the books they gave me and read them to my class. He was the one who encouraged me to go to college and even helped me financially when I could not squeeze the money from our family budget. We talk on the phone every few weeks and he always asks, "What are you reading?" because he knows I always have a book (or 2 or 10 lol) going. We don't have cable and rarely watch television and some people might find that odd. He understands me because he's the same way. He has learned how to text and I get surprise messages every now and then - "Just checking in" he will say. He loves to remember the good memories of the past with regard to my mom and late husband. He impacts my life today with all the small things he does like the annual birthday card with a handwritten note inside and $10, the flotilla of flowers he places in the pond near his summer home in Maine on my mom's birthday and texts me the pictures, and mostly by reminding me each time that I talk with him that I possess the ability to go as far as I can imagine with regard to every aspect of my life. 

Mrs. August was my 6th grade teacher and she was phenomenal! i still remember so many of the things I learned in her class such as verb usage and diagramming sentences. She made learning fun everyday. Projects were interesting and she encouraged cooperative learning. She liked the fact that it would get very loud in the classroom. She said it was sound of learning! She influenced my life because I wanted to be an energetic and inspirational teacher like her. I kept in touch with her because she became the principal when I was in high school. You could always go into her office and talk about anything. Her accessibility is what I think made her stand out to me. She passed away at a young age from cancer when I was in my late 20s. I was so sad when I heard the news. I want to be he teacher that continues to come to mind as my students get older just as she was to me. 

  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, You have beautiful memories to share and how wonderful that you are still close with your family and able to carry on some of the family traditions. What may seem like small things to some people mean the most to those of us who experienced them. I know many of my fondest memories are also moments that cost very little money but took true love and just a little attention from someone close to me. You mentioned your uncle is in Maine...that is where both me and my husband grew up and my whole family still lives. I look forward to reading more of your posts and learning of your dreams and successes. Cindy Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I LOVE visiting them. I think the best family vacation we ever took was up there...it even rivaled Disney World in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete